More Wiring Up
Completed the various wiring bits that needed doing. Made a power board that connects the incoming power connections to the main circuits via a removable umbilical that can be removed to disassemble the machine.
Cut the circuit boards down to size with the Dremel and tied the cabling together with tape.
Glued the main power board into place.
Added in the secondary power board that provides the switching between internal power and external mains.
Connecting wires between the power boards.
Connected the VGA wiring harness to the internal resistors, found the ones I needed from the maintenance manual that has a full circuit diagram of the machine.
Testing the output. Works ok but there seems to be a weird problem with colours not working, the output is correct but everything on the screen seems to be white.
Fitted the power switch that allows me to turn on battery power.
The machine pretty much completed.
Switched to battery powered mode. Screen is showing MOS command prompt.
Look no wires :)
There are a few issues that I still need to resolve.
Firstly the VGA seems to not be displaying colour, not sure if it was just me or if there is an issue. Need to check the actual output on a real monitor to ensure that we are getting colours.
Battery needs to be fixed internally in some kind of holder so that it doesn't get hot from any chips on the board.
The original brown front has been removed, I want to get a new custom vinyl printed that will also cover the screen boarder. Didn't manage to get time to design and get it printed.
GoSDC is working ok but I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong as the patched ADFS and DFS won't seem to load.
Not getting any errors from it but the filing systems I've asked it to load don't appear. Going to try it in the normal master and see if its an issue with the Compact.
All Good Thing Must Come To An End
Well that's me done for this RetroChallenge. Looking forward to reading everyone else's blogs. See you all in the 01/Winter :)
Battery & Charging Circuit
Well some parts I'd ordered arrived so I decided to solder them together to test out the chargeable battery.
Here is the current charging circuit connected to the mains and the Gonbez. I can remove the power from the main socket and the battery takes over.
This should hopefully provide a 5v input which will charge the LiPo battery when the unit is plugged in. I intend to wire a switch in between the charging board and the step-up board so that I can turn off the machine without stopping it charging.
The charge circuit takes 5v in but the battery is 3.7v. To be able to supply the 5v needed for all the internal boards I am using a step-up board that will take the 3.7v to 5v. I have tried it with the Gonbez board and it runs this ok.
Mini TV Screen
I have a very small TV screen which I bought. The next step is to wire up the screen check it works with the output from the BBC.